Wednesday, April 23, 2008

531 week 3

I think that teachers are all just storytellers . I make up stories all the time while teaching even in the most mundane or unusual lesson that would not necessarailly apply to these 7 elements. Take long division for example. There's the standard acronym to help students remember the steps: DAD , MOM , SISTER , BROTHER . I'll make up stories about the family to help teach the steps. The problem is sometimes I get a little to animated and hyper and will somply try to cram too much into a lesson. I might take it too fast trying to do too much wheter it's different methods to do the same problems or trying to explain too much information for little students to handle. Therefore, the one element that really stood out to me and made me reflect is economy. The fact of the matter is that often times less is more. To focus on just certain aspects of a lesson and thus ceratin aspects of a story is more meaningful, and students will often walk away with a better understanding.

No comments: