Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Computer Architecture Week 1

Interesting stuff! I like history in general but it seems to be in fields like natural history, US history etc. But computer history I knew very little about. The concept I found most interesting was that the basic design of the computer are really relatively old, going back to Charles Babbage and similar pioneers of his age. I'm struck with a larger question of what causes someone to think "outside the box" like this. I think it's a natural human tendency to just go with what you're given. So what caused him to be so innovative? Clearly the spirit of technological innovation at the mid 19th century had something to do with it, but I'm continually struck with the relevance of Howard Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences. Clearly Babbage by this measure was gifted in the area of Logical mathematical intelligence.

I'm also very interested to learn in week one the process by which computers work. I was simply ignorant of it before. Sure I had some knowledge but lacked clear understanding of just what an operating system is or what the startup process is doing on any given computer. I'm starting to feel that, with this in mind, this would be a better class to have in the beginning of the program.

No comments: